Risalamande | Christmas Dessert | Traditional Christmas Dessert | Nordic Cooking | Nordic Cuisine | Nordic Dessert | Danish Cuisine | Danish Christmas Dessert | Scandinavian | Pudding Recipe | Rice Dessert | Gluten-Free Dessert
Risalamande, a traditional Danish Christmas Dessert. A rice pudding mixed with whipped cream, sugar, vanilla, and chopped almonds. It is served cold with either warm or cold cherry sauce.
Danish Christmas Tradition with Risalamande
What made me make this delicious rice pudding is the ritual behind it. This rice dessert is served after Christmas Dinner, while sitting around the Christmas tree, exchanging gifts.
Although the recipe contains lot of chopped almonds, while serving this pudding, a whole almond is hidden in one of the bowls served. Whoever gets that whole almond gets a gift, mandelgave (almond gift).
I m trying to imagine the scene there, what fun it would be, keeping in mind the Christmas spirit, I bet bowls of pudding would get finished hurriedly just to get that whole almond.
Follow me on Social Media
More Interesting Dessert Recipes
Why I made this Traditional Danish Christmas Rice Pudding?
This fun game is what made me do this beautiful dessert. We loved the pudding, my mom and dad loved the taste, they were surprised to that something similar to our paal payasam is made in the Nordic Culture.
My hubby loved the warm sauce on top and the tangy taste the fruit sauce gives to this delicious pudding. A rich dessert, fit for the festivities and also for the fun.
More Puddings To Try
Check this creamy muhallabia, Middle-eastern rice pudding, sweetly flavored with rose water, nutmeg and almonds. Samoan koko rice, a vegan chocolate rice pudding from teh
If you are like me, you would love these quick and easy chia puddings.
- Mango musk-melon chia pudding, made with fresh mangoes and musk melon and zero added sugar
- Strawberry Chia pudding, made with coconut milk and topped with homemade strawberry jam., Vanilla Chia puddings.
- Orange & Chia Vanilla pudding, yet another vegan pudding with fresh oranges and fragrant vanilla.
Recipe Card for Christmas Dessert
Risalamande | Danish Rice Dessert | Christmas Dessert
For the Rice pudding
- ½ cup short grain rice
- 1 Litre full fat milk
- 1 pod vanilla
For serving Risalamande (Makes 4-5 serving)
- 20 nos almonds blanched
- 125 ml heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoon sugar
- Cherry sauce/I have used strawberry sauce
For the Sauce
- 10 nos Strawberries/Pitted cherries
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 2 nos clove
- 1 no cinnamon stick
Let us make the Rice Pudding first.
- Wash the rice once or twice. Take it in a heavy bottom pan, add milk to it and let it cook in a medium flame until rice cooks well.
- While the rice is cooking, cut open the vanilla pod, scrape the seeds and add to it. You can also add the scrapped pods to it, this will give a nice aroma to the pudding.
- Cover and cook, this will speed up the process. Keep stirring often, as the rice might stick to the bottom and burn.
- Once the rice turns soft. Take it off the flame. It will be like a thick porridge, this will thicken even more as it cools. Refrigerate until serve
To make the cherry/strawberry sauce
- I didnt have cherries, so made a strawberry sauce. Add 10 strawberries and 4 tablespoon sugar along with 2 cloves, and a cinnamon stick to a sauce pan.
- Let it cook in its own juices for 10-12 minutes, once the berries/cherries lose their shape and turn all mushy, take it off the stove.
Blanching the almonds.
- I usually soak the almonds for 4-5 hours and then remove the peel. If making in a hurry, add almonds to boiling water, take it off the stove. Let it sit for 2 minutes. Drain the almonds, rinse it once with cold water, they can be easily skinned.
To serve Risalamande
- Chop the blanced almonds roughly. Whip the cream and add it to the pudding, along with sugar and almonds. Serve thepudding in individual bowls topped with more almonds and warm cherry sauce.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Love the simplicity of the dessert. The pudding doesn't have any added sugar, it is served with warm cherry sauce . Every spoon of this pudding is filled with chunky almonds and aromatic vanilla, it is a flavor explosion in your mouth.
Definitely try this rich and luscious Nordic rice pudding this holiday season. A great crowd pleaser and can be made in bulk, easy to store and serve.
That is such a rich dessert. Love the strawberry sauce on top. I am imaging biting into the almonds in that rich pudding. Yummm..
Wow this is one creamy deliciousness .. am drooling here:) I remember making this with raspberry sauce , they look so divine with your version of strawberry sauce added to it.. Lovely captures ..
Fabulous , bookmarking this simple dessert which sounds like a close cousin to our kheer . The strawberry sauce definitely enhances the taste and look .
I made something similar for Norway sometime back and omg, it was so good. With a fruit sauce it must have tasted amazing.
Saw you making them in ur Insta Stories.. Looks so creamy and delicious.. Fabulous dessert..
Very rich looking Risalamande, Scandinavian cuisines have few varieties of this rice dessert, and the fruit sauce looks irresistible.
Looks like an exotic version of our Indian Kheer. The use of cherry sauce while serving is interesting
The almond finding ritual sounds fun and I was imagining the same too. Sitting around the tree and opening presents while relishing this dessert, oh boy good life. Nice share and thanks for sharing the tradition behind the recipe too.
Rice pudding topped with that rich and delicious strawberry sauce looks and sounds super exotic.
This pudding looks so lovely with the contrast of berry sauce.
Sounds super rich, creamy and delicious. The strawberry topping adds a dash of color to it.
Rice pudding looks delicious, especially the Strawberry topping is just yummm.
scandinavia has many versions of rice pudding - this looks so good and I love that berry garnish
That is such a rich and exotic looking rice pudding. Loved reading about the tradition around this dish. The cherry/ strawberry topping on top looks so delicious.
My family always has risalamande for Christmas dessert and always do the almond prize. When we were younger there would be a few prizes, now that we are all adults there is only one. Lots of fun and delicious.We have only used cherry sauce but the strawberries sounds delicious.