Rava upma, traditional and famous South-Indian Breakfast recipe. Rava upma also called as uppitu or sooji upma, a quick and easy dish made with semolina.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
What is Upma
I can hear “urghh” while some of you read that title – upma. It is one of the least favored dish by many. But believe me when I say, there are many people who love upma anytime, anyday.
Upma is a simple savory pudding, made of semolina/sooji and tempered with spices. We have another dish with semolina called Rava Kichadi, which has more vegetables made rich with ghee/oil.
How to make a Good Upma
Upma tastes really delicious, when made properly. Make a note of the following key points to get a soft and fluffy upma, every time.
- The proportion of liquid to rava/semolina. The ratio of rava and liquid for a good upma is usually 1: 3, sometimes, even 1/2 cup more, but never less. When this proportion is skewed, you end up with a pasty upma.
- Next key ingredient is boiling water. Do not use cold or lukewarm water. Boiling water helps the rava to swell and cook well.
- Finally use a generous drizzle of ghee towards the end. I once watched a wedding caterer cook upma for quick dinner, they used dalda/shortening, to get that nice, gritty, fluffy upma.
- Rava/Sooji/Semolina, the key ingredient to make this upma. We get roasted rava these days.
- Vegetables, a simple upma, is made with just onions and chilies. I have used tomatoes and carrots in this recipe.
- Spices, green chilies is used to spice the upma. You can also use red chilies.
- Tempering, the regular ingredients like mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves are used.
How to make Rava Upma
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Dry roast the rava/sooji/semolina. I do this even if I using roasted semolina.
- In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil, do the tempering with mustard seeds, chilies, curry leaves and hing.
- Next add chopped onions and sauté till translucent. Next add tomatoes and grated carrots, sauté for a minute or two.
- Now to this veggies, add necessary water and salt. Let this come to a boil, reduce the flame and add the roasted rava/sooji and mix well.
- Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes until all liquid is absorbed. Finally drizzle ghee, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Breakfast Recipes
Rava Upma | Sooji upma |South-Indian Breakfast
- ½ cup Rava/Sooji/Semolina
- ½ a shredded carrot
- 1 no medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 no medium tomato, chopped
- ½ tsp salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee/oil divided
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/kadugu
- 2 nos green chilies, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp hing/asafoetida
- a sprig of curry leaf, torn into pieces
- In a pan, dry roast sooji/rava until golden brown. I do this, even if i m using roasted rava/sooji.
- Remove the roasted sooji onto a plate. In the same pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, next add chopped green chilies, hing and curry leaves. Saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped onions and saute until they turn translucent. Now add grated carrots and tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder and saute for a minute. Add 1 & 3/4 cup of water and salt to this and let it boil.
- Once it comes to a rolling boil, reduce the flame and add the roasted sooji to it and mix well.
- Immediately it will start absorbing all the liquid, cover with a lid and cook until done. It takes around 8-10 minutes
- Once done, remove the cover, fluff it up well. Add a generous drizzle of ghee and coriander leaves. Serve it warm or pack for your kiddo's lunch box.
Serve this delicious rava upma with side of your choice. Since the rava upma has got all the tempering and spices, it doesn’t need any chutney or side.