I m still lazing at my mom's house, in the name of vacation. Its been almost 2 months now, i go to the kitchen only to get my food. Though i cooked a little here and there, but that doesn't count even as half, if i take my eating-only days into account.
Anyways, my kitchen is calling me and i will be there next week at my place, hopefully with full josh to cook, or else poor hubby has to put up with my vacation-lagg!!
If you are experiencing that vacation-lag and have no mood to cook, then this rasam is an excellent recipe, to make today. It is almost no-cook, doesn't need any masala, no grinding, just soak, and tadka, that's it. Serve it on top of hot steaming rice, lunch or dinner settled, people will go ga-ga over your cooking, even after that vacation-lagg!!
a small lemon sized tamarind, soaked in warm water for 15 minutes.
1 Large tomato, chopped fine
2 sprigs of curry leaves
3-4 nos dried red chili
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
2 pinches of hing
2 pinches of turmeric
- Extract around 5 cups of water from the soaked tamarind. Keep aside. In a pan, add ghee/oil for tempering.
- Splutter mustard seeds, crackle cumin, add curry leaves , hing and turmeric. Now add broken red chilies, and tomatoes.
- Saute until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. Now pour the tamarind extract and salt, Mix well. Let it sit for a minute on the stove.
- Take it off the stove. Serve warm over hot steaming rice, along with pappad and dry subzi.
- We enjoyed this rasam along with beetroot curry, mint-coriander thogayal, and appalam.