For day 2 , i m here with a Roti-subzi meal. Aloo palak, a yumm side for rice or roti. Not only yumm, it takes only 10-15 minutes, if you have all the ingredietns ready at hand. Normally when i make roti for my hubby, i make extra and keep it for my lunch or sometimes have it for breakfast too.
This side was made for my lunch last week. These days, my elder one has stayback in school for some music practice. So, it is only me and lil one at home for lunch. He is a happy with rasam mammu, or even simple jeera rice. It is me who needs variety. The day i made, i paired it with Tindli & carrot pickle, this subzi, some cucumber and carrot slices by the side and a cucumebr minty lassi to wash it all down.Ingredients
1 Medium-sized potato, yield 10-12 1 inch cubes
1 bunch of palak, yield 1.5 cups of chopped leaves
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tbsp gingely oil/or any cooking oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 red chilies, i used long variety
a pinch of hing
- Wash, peel, and chop potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Wash and chop the palak leavses. 1 bunch of leaves when chopped yield about 1.5 cups of loosely packed leaves.
- Heat a pan, add oil given under 'Tempering', when it is hot, crackle cumin and add chilies followed by chopped onion and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Next add chopped potatoes, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and add 2 tbsp of e water and reduce the flame. Cover and cook until potatoes are done. It will take around 8-10 minutes, depending the size of the potatoes. Take care not to burn them, sprinkle water if you feel the potatoes are getting burnt.
- Once the potatoes are done, add the chopped palak leaves, garam masala and salt. Mix well and saute for another 8-10 minutes.
- Take it off the stove and serve with roti. I had them with roti and tindli and carrot pickle and cucumber mint lassi.