Bulgur Salad, hearty whole-grain salad with bulgur, veggies and simple herbs. Quick and easy to make salad.
Table of contents
Salads are regular at home, i try to make one, at-least once in a week. Our favorite is this simple chickpea salad . Sometimes i make this Rice and beans salad, to use up leftover rice. Both my kiddos love this pasta salad and this creamy carrot salad on cucumber boats, Last month, we had our in-laws at home, so it was a pucca traditional south-indian food all day. Since they have a different routine, i couldn't stuff mine into them. Now it is just us, i started with our salad routine, the first recipe i tried is this Greek Bulgur salad.
What is Bulgur/Bulghur?
Bulgur/bulghur, a wholegrain cereal made from dried, cracked wheat. It is parboiled, or partially cooked, so when used in recipes, it is cooked quickly. When cooked, it has a similar consistency to couscous/quinoa.
Bulgur originated in the Mediterranean, a staple ingredient in many Middle Eastern and Mediterranean dishes. Apart from being tasty and quick to cook, bulgur is very nutritious. Since it’s a minimally processed grain, it maintains more nutritional value than more refined wheat products. Bulgur contains a variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as a substantial amount of fiber.
Bulgur/Bulghur vs Broken Wheat
Sometimes bulgur is confused with cracked wheat, but they are not the same. Cracked wheat, which are whole raw wheat berries that have been milled into smaller pieces. Unlike bulgur, cracked wheat has not been precooked and, hence, can’t be substituted in recipes that call for bulgur.
How to make Bulgur Salad
A wonderful combination of bulgur with onion, tomatoes and cukes and a simple dressing of lime juice and herbs, that's it. Only time consuming process in this salad, is to cook bulgur, yup, adding boiling water to the bulgur. Rest is all done, when the water is boiling.
Please Check the recipe card below for the exact measurements of the ingredients and detailed steps
- Boil water in a sauce pan, add the bulgur, keep it covered for 30-40 minutes.
- While the bulgur is resting, Wash and chop the veggies, herbs and juice the lime and keep it all ready
- After the said time, check on the bulgur, it must have soaked up all the liquid. Drain the bulgur well. Toss it with the veggies, herbs and add lime juice and salt. Let it sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Serve
Bulgur Salad | Pligourisalata | Vegan Salad
- ½ cup white bulgur
- 1 no medium sized onion chopped fine
- 4-5 nos yellow cherry tomatoes sliced into half
- 4-5 nos red cherry tomatoes sliced into half
- 1 no lebanese cucumber finely chopped with the skin
- 3 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 3 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of a lime
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Boil 1 cup of water in a sauce pan, take it off the stove and add the bulgur to it. Cover and set aside for 30-40 minutes.
- While the bulgur is getting ready, let us prepare the veggies, wash the cucumber and tomatoes, chop them fine. Wash the herbs and chop them fine. Juice and lime and keep it ready.
- After the said time, check on the bulgur, it must have absorbed all the liquid and swelled well and turned soft. There should be no water left in it, but as a precaution, strain it well.
- To a large bowl, add all the chopped veggies, add the cooked bulgur, toss and mix. to the mixed salad, now add the chopped herbs, lime juice and salt. Toss and let the salad sit for 15 minutes for the flavors to mingle well.
- I refrigerated the salad and served it chill as part of our dinner. Loved the simple flavors, the salad is spiced just with lime juice and salt, still tasted amazing.
- You can add crumbled Feta Cheese to the salad to add more volume to it.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
I love such simple recipes, that require less time in the kitchen. With sun blazing through all day, i like to spend as much as little time possible in the kitchen, and that doesn't mean less tasty meal.
The day i made this salad, i made a delicious greek chickpea/Revithia soup. Some might think this as an odd combination, but the hot soup and chilled salad paired so well.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
Saving this recipe for my changing healthy eating lifestyle!! Thankyou
Healthy and nutrititious
Healthy share 🙂 Lovely ingredients used out there!!
The beauty of bulgur is definitely the cooking time... hardly any! Hehe... the salad looks appetizing...
Priya good to see you back and that salad looks so refreshing. I can't possibly try pronouncing the Greek name, but will bookmark this salad for latter time for sure..:)
Simple, delicious and refreshing. A fast and easy recipe, that I am going to try this summer. Thanks for sharing.
Yes, in the summer less time in the kitchen is so necessary! This salad looks great!
This salad look so refreshing.. We love bulgar in our home so can't wait to try this.
Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy
This looks and sound delicious. I was just discussing with my husband about eating more salads for dinner. This is perfect.
What gorgeous presentation of this lovely and healthy salad. Perfect for the coming hot months! YUM!
I have never tried bulgur at all but seeing this salad and how delicious it looks is motivating me to add it to my diet! This looks so fresh!
I agree - the less time in the kitchen, the better! More time to eat! 🙂 This salad looks healthy and light, but also satisfying.
Bulgar was one of my favorites before I was diagnosed with Celiac disease. Nothing is like a cool bulgar salad in the summer.
Adrianas Best Recipes
I enjoy bulgur a lot but have not used it in a salad you have a great suggestion here must try it soon =)
Lovely salad, and so healthy and satisfying! Nothing like a good salad on a hot summer day, l don't like spending too much in the kitchen when the weather is nice, so this is just perfect.
Love how refreshing this salad looks! So yummy. Saving for later and can't wait to try it out!
I absolutely Greek flavored salad and this one would top my list. Love the flavor of bulgur and it also keeps us filled up. This is a great recipe for summer days.
valmg @ From Val's Kitchen
That's a very pretty salad. Hubby tends to enjoy more Greek and Greek-inspired dishes so I;m sure he'd be up for trying this one.
This salad is healthy, nutritional and delicious:)
This sounds like such a simple and delicious recipe to make the family on a busy weeknight. Can't wait to give it a try, yum!
Marisa Franca @ Allourway
We eat a salad every single night at dinner and sometimes even for lunch. Your recipe would be a welcome change -- I haven't used a lot of bulgar-- that's about to change.
Your salad looks delicious and perfect for any meal I love greek salad.
Am sure, this salad will definitely satisfy my hungry tummy, fantastic dish.
Traditionally Modern Food
My hubby likes salad fro lunch, At times I am concerned if it will be filling. this one looks healthy and filling. I should give it a try
Perfect salad for the summer days and very appetizingly presented!
I can tell from the pictures itself that it will be super refreshing. I am so going to try this.
This is such a great salad with bulgur. With rising heat, it has become impossible to remain in kitchen for more than 10 minutes and these types of dishes are a boon..
a great summer salad - bulgur is a great grain for light summer salads
Love this simple and delicious salad. Looks perfect for summer bbqs.
Such a lovely salad for Summer bbq!! Lovely Greek recipe!
A hearty, filling and delicious salad... love it with the flavors of fresh parsley and coriander. I would love to add some feta to it 🙂