Peas and corn paniyaram, a savory snack made with leftover idly/dosa batter. Kuzhipaniyaram or appe is a popular evening snack.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
What is Kuzhipaniyaram
Kuzhipaniyaram known as paddu, gunta ponganalu, yeriappa, guliyappa are quick to make, and a very popular evening snack in many south-indian restaurants.
Kuzhipaniyaram , small ball shaped dumplings made out of rice and dal batter. It is made colorful by adding some delicious tempering's. They are cooked in aebleskiver pan, known as appe pan or paniyaram pan.
Since made in appe pan, you can term them healthy as they tend to use less oil than the regular paniyaram which can be deep fried too.
Varieties of Kuzhipaniyaram
Savory paniyarams are mostly made using leftover idly/dosa batter. You can also soak and grind batter specifically for paniyarams, like this Chettinadu Vellai paniyaram or like this foxtail millet savory paniyarams .
Paniyaram can be sweet too, check this exotic and delicious Jackfruit paniyaram, or simple instant wheat flour appam. If you are looking for another exotic fruit paniyaram, check this Apple Abeleskivers with chocolate cream.
- Leftover idly/dosa batter, though made with 2-3 days old batter, you can also make freshly batter or grind batter specifically for paniyaram.
- Peas and corn, the hero ingredient of this recipe. I have used frozen green peas and corn for this paniyaram.
- Spices, I have used green chili, ginger and a handful of fresh coriander and mint leaves in the paniyaram.
- Tempering, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves are used.
Step by Step Instructions to make the paniyaram
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Let us prepare the tempering. Heat a pan with oil, splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, add hing, curry leaves, chopped green chili and ginger. Add chopped coriander and mint leaves. Saute for a minute.
- To this add green peas and corn, add salt , sprinkle water. Cover and cook for a minute or two in a medium flame. Remove and add this tempering to the batter. Mix well.
- Heat a paniyaram pan/appe pan. Fill each hole of the pan until ¾th with the batter. Add another teaspoon of oil. Cover and cook for a minute.
- Remove the cover, using a skewer, flip each paniyaram to the other side and cook. Remove and serve it warm with a chutney of your choice.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for a day. Reheat for 10 - 20 seconds and serve it warm.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Breakfast Recipes
Peas & Corn Kuzhipaniyaram | Paniyaram with Idly Batter
- Aebleskiver pan/Appe pan/Paniyaram pan
- 2 cups leftover idly batter
- ¼ cup green peas i used frozen
- ¼ cup sweet corn i used frozen
- 1 teaspoon oil i used sunflower oil
- 1 no green chili chopped finely
- ½ inch piece of fresh ginger peeled and chopped finely
- ¼ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- few curry leaves
- handful of coriander and mint leaves
- oil for cooking the paniyaram
- Take out the idly/dosa batter from the refrigerator and let it come to the room temperature. While it is resting, chop the chilies and ginger.
- In a pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds, add hing, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves, coriander and mint and saute them all for 30 seconds.
- To this now add peas and corn. Saute for a minute. Add salt and mix well. Sprinkle little water, cover and cook for a minute or two for the flavors to mingle. Keep the flame low, be watchful and don't burn the ingredients.
- After 2 minutes, remove the cover, take it off the heat. Add this tempering to the idly/dosa batter, mix well. Check consistency of the batter, if too thick, add 2-3 tablespoon of water, mix well.
Let us make Kuzhipaniyaram
- Heat a appe pan/abeleskiver pan. I have used my cast-iron pan. Once hot, add a teaspoon of oil. Brush the oil well with a silicon brush into the holes. I have used totally 1 teaspoon oil for the pan.
- Pour batter until ¾th in each of the holes of the paniyaram pan. Swirl another teaspoon of oil into the pan. Cover and cook for a minute in a medium flame for the paniyaram to cook.
- After a minute, remove the cover, flip the paniyarams carefully with a skewer. Swirl another teaspoon of oil. Let it cook for another 30-40 seconds.
- Remove and serve the paniyaram warm with a chutney of your choice.
- Any leftover paniyaram can be refrigerated for a day. Reheat in the microwave for 10-20 seconds and serve warm.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Serve this colorful and delicious peas & corn paniyaram with a side of your choice. I served it with Peanut chutney and sambar.
paniyaram super!pass the plate pls.
Kalakuringa Priya, super delicious cute paniyaram...looks yummy..
super paniyaram with a nice click.
Sounds so yummy and different 🙂 Never had or heard of them before.
very tempting...just can't stop from tasting one.
Priya, Thanks for letting me know. Do let me know how cookies turn out. I make paniyaram so many times but yet to post. Yours looks so cute.
Paniyaram is a great snack and easy to make since most South Indian houses stock on dosa batter. Love this veggie filled version!
Awesome ! Tasted plain appams in restaurants and also made them at home . But Adding peas and corn as on this recipe is a great idea !
They look awesome. we love paniyaram in our home but I would like to try with leftover idli batter as mentioned in your recipe.
What an inviting paniyaram it is. Leftover Idli batter is a boon and love the number of varieties that can be made.
Love the combination of corn and peas and that too in kuzhi paniyaram is an absolute treat. with chutney that is surely an exotic and healthy breakfast.
Paniyaram with those peas and corn looks so good. Yummy
That is a tempting bowl of paniyaram. The addition of veggies add nutrition to them and look lovely.