Arisi thengai payasam, a delicious vegan kheer made with rice and coconut. A simple to make kheer that gets ready in minutes.Jump to Recipe
Payasam | Kheer
Payasam, a south-indian feast is incomplete without this king. The first dish served on the banana leaf is payasam on the right hand corner, symbolizing a sweet beginning.
Payasam, or paayasam is a milk based dessert, made in every Indian Kitchen. We never need an occasion to make kheer. Like at my mom’s place, she makes kheer/payasam every Friday as an offering after her pooja. Some like me make kheer just to exhaust extra milk. We don’t need any specific festivity to make kheer, but if there is a festival we make more than just kheer.
Vegan Kheer | Vegan Payasam
Vegan kheer is not recently invented. Like today’s post, the arisi thengai payasam aka Rice & coconut kheer uses absolutely no milk, not even vegan milk. We have lots of kheer recipes that uses coconut milk.
Most of the jaggery based kheer recipes use coconut milk, as there is a very good chance of curdling if regular milk is used. Like this Red aval payasam, made with red rice flakes and delicious coconut milk and sweetened with jaggery.
Paal kozhukattai, a delicious kheer made of coconut milk and rice balls cooked in jaggery. This payasam is my all time favorite and is made during Garuda panchami. So, if somebody says vegan payasam, please be assured we have been making it for so long.
I served this delicious vegan arisi thengai payasam as part of our Aadi velli lunch. The simple thali contains
- Peerkangai peel thogayal
- jeera rasam
- Thengai arisi payasam/kheer
- Urad dal bonda
- Banana stem & coconut curry
- Steaming hot rice
- Rice, is used as the thickening agent in this kheer, i have used normal raw rice.
- Coconut, freshly grated coconut meat is used for the kheer.
- Jaggery, the sweetener, I have used organic jaggery powder for dhatu organics
- Cardamom and clove are used as flavoring agents in the recipe
- Roasted cashewnuts for garnish.
Step by Step Instructions on how to make Arisi Thengai Payasam
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Soak rice for 30 minutes. Once done, drain and grind it together with coconut, cardamom & clove and few nuts to a fine paste.
- Boil water, add the ground paste to it and let it cook well. Once cooked, add jaggery. Let it boil and adjust consistency.
- Finally add roasted cashewnuts, remove from heat and serve warm.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan. You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Kheer Recipes
Arisi Thengai Payasam | Rice & coconut Kheer | Vegan Kheer
- 2 tablespoon Rice
- ½ cup freshly Grated Coconut
- ¾ cup jaggery
- 2 cups water
- 3-4 nos cardamom
- 2 nos cloves
- handful of cashewnuts for grinding
- roasted cashewnuts for garnish
- Soak Rice in half a cup water for 30 minutes. After the said time, drain the rice completely.
- Take the drained rice in a mixer jar, add grated coconut , cashewnuts, cardamom and cloves. Grind all this to a fine paste with little water.
- Boil 2 cups of water in a wide-mouth pan. Reduce the flame when the water starts to boil.
- Add the ground rice-coconut paste. Stir well to avoid any lumps. Let this cook well. It will take about 15 minutes. Keep stirring in-between.
- Once the mixture is well cooked, add the powdered jaggery to this and mix well. Let this be on the stove for another 10-15 minutes in medium flame.
- If you are not sure about the purity of the jaggery, then boil it with little water, strain for any impurities and use the jaggery syrup.
- Finally add roasted cashew nuts to the kheer and take it off the stove. Serve the kheer warm and enjoy the flavors.
Enjoy this wholesome arisi thengai payasam warm. The coconut used in the kheer adds richness to the kheer and makes up to the creaminess that comes from milk. Try this delicious vegan kheer and you will be surprised how you didn’t miss milk at all in the payasam.