Beets paratha, a colorful flatbread made with beetroot and whole wheat flour. Serve this delicious paratha with a curry of your choice for a complete meal.Jump to Recipe
Beets is our favorite vegetable. Beets rasam and beets chutney being my kiddos favorites. Now this beets paratha too joined that favorite list. I was a little skeptical whether my little one would like it, but to my surprise he loved the mildly spiced paratha, his favorite side for this is plain curd, whereas my elder one enjoys with a spicy side too.
Cooked beets is a regular in my fridge and I love to use them as often as possible. This beets buttermilk is an absolute favorite beverage of mine and this labneh, the best dip you will ever taste. Beets, not only add color, but that awesome earthiness and mild sweetness, which when paired with a hint of chili taste totally awesome.
How to make Beets Paratha
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions.
- Make a coarse paste of cooked beets, chili and cumin in a food processor or a chopper.
- Add this coarse paste to wheat flour and add enough water to make a soft pliable roti dough.
- Let the kneaded dough, rest of 10 minutes. Divide the dough into 6-8 portions. Roll them into a flat disc using a roller pin.
- Cook the roti on a hot tava on both sides, serve it warm with a curry of your choice.
Beets Paratha | How to make Beetroot Paratha
- Tava for cooking the roti/paratha
- Roller pin for rolling the roti/paratha
For the dough
- 1½ cups Whole Wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup warm water
- salt to taste
Grind to coarse paste
- 80 grams beets peeled and cooked until soft
- ½ a green chili
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 2 tablespoon water for easy grinding
- In a food processor or a chopped, take cooked beets, add green chili and cumin seeds to it and blitz away. I prefer almost smooth mix.
- If you are doing in a food processor then you can add wheat flour to the processor and continue kneading the dough.
- If not, remove the ground beets to a bowl, add flour and salt to it and mix. To this slowly add ¼ cup of water first and knead and add extra water when you need.
- When the dough is almost done, add oil to it and knead to a smooth dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Once rested, divide the dough to 6-8 portions, depending on the size you roll. Dust each dough ball with flour, roll out into thin discs.
- cook the rolled out roti on a hot tava on both sides until done. I usually smear ghee once the roti is cooked
- Keep the roti covered in a kitchen cloth until served. I packed these colorful roti's for my kids breakfast box along with Potato and capsicum masala.
Serve this delicious and colorful beets paratha with a curry of your choice. I personally prefer a mildly spicy curry, as the parathas might be a little sweet as they have beets in them.
Some Curry Options
- Mathura ke dubkiwale aloo
- Hyderabadi bhagar baigan/Brinjal gravy
- Nadan thakkali curry/Kerala style tomato curry
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter