A super healthy twist for our regular sevai or rice noodles with pepper and flax seeds. The podi can be mixed and matched with other ingredients too. You can even add a tbsp of coconut or even white sesame seeds. The spice powder can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator to make this snack quick. Kuttu prefers this sevai with some yogurt, whereas the lil one haves it as such.
1 Packet Instant Sevai Mix
Salt to taste
fresh coriander for garnishing
To roast n grind
2 tsp peppercorns
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp tsp flax seeds
1/2 tsp groundnuts/peanuts
1 red chili
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp hing
1 tsp chana dal
1 tbsp almond silvers
2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Cook sevai according to packet instructions. I bought concord brand sevai, according to pack instructions, we need to boil 3 measures of water for 1 measure of sevai. When the water begins to boil, add the sevai and cook for 3-4 minutes. Take it off the stove, drain it in a colander and add a tsp of oil to the sevai.
- Take care not to cook the sevai for long only 3-4 minutes on the stove, or else you will end up with mushy goo!!!
- While the sevai is draining, let us prepare the Flaxseed n pepper powder. Dry roast the ingredients given under "Roast n grind" one by one. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Take it in a mixer or coffee grinder and powder it. I usually make a little extra of this powder/podi and store it in the refrigerator and use it make mixed rice too.
- Now, heat oil given under "Tempering" in a wide pan, splutter mustard seeds, add hing, chana dal, almond silvers and curry leaves. Saute for a minute or two until the dal and almonds change color. Add the drained sevai to this and toss well.
- Add half the ground powder/podi to this and mix thoroughly to coat the sevai. Adjust salt and taste check, if you feel like adding some more podi for the flavor, add another tsp of it and give a good mix. I added 3/4th of the ground powder to the sevai
- Let it sit on the heat for another 2 mintues for the flavors to mingle. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with yogurt or chips.
Sending this to Kids Delight - After school snacks, happening @ +Nivedhanams Sowmya space, an event by +Srivalli Jetti .Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#38