1 cup cooked rice, i used leftover rice
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
1 cup, loosely packed baby spinach
1 tsp homemade sambar powder or 1/2 tsp red chili powder & 1/2 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp gingely oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
a generous pinch of hing and turmeric powder
1 green chili, slit lengthwise
2-3 curry leaves (i forgot to use it)
- I normally store the leftover rice in the fridge, first remove the rice and keep it out for 10 minutes. I reheated the rice in the MW the rice for 2 minutes.
- Chop the onions and tomatoes, finely. Wash the spinach leaves and keep it ready. In a pan, heat oil given under tempering, splutter mustard seeds, crackle cumin, add chili and curry leaves followed by hing and turmeric.
- Now add chopped onions and saute until translucent. Add chopped tomatoes, followed by sambhar powder or red chili and coriander powder.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and let it simmer until tomatoes are cooked soft. Now add the baby spinach leaves and saute. You don’t have to cook too long after adding spinach, just wait for leaves to wilt, add salt and mix well.
- There won’t be any liquid in the mixture by now, add the cooked rice, and mix well. Let it sit on the stove for another 2 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Take it off the stove and serve warm with crisps or appalam or any raita of your choice.