1 cup rice, i used jeerakasala
1 cup thick coconut milk
1 cup warm water
1 cup of mixed carrot and green peas (i used frozen)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1-2 green chili, slit lengthwise (purely optional, original recipe doesn’t use any spice)
3/4 tsp – 1 tsp salt or to taste
2 tsp coconut oil
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Heat a pan, add coconut oil, when it is hot, add the frozen veggies, green chilies if adding,and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the rice and sauce for a minute. To this now add coconut milk and warm water. Add turmeric powder and salt, mix well. Cover and cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Stir inbetween once and check whether it needs some more liquid to cook, if yes, then equal amounts of coconut milk and water and add to the rice.
- I didn’t add any extra liquid, the 2 cups was good enough to cook the rice well.
- Once done, remove from heat, fluff up the rice with a fork and serve it warm with a spicy side or a simple cucumber salad.