Aloo tikki, potato and peas cutlet, a hearty patty made of potatoes and peas, pan-fried and served with green chutney and sauce.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
Potato : Our Family Vegetable
Potatoes in any form is always a hit at home. In fact, I jocularly say Potato is our family vegetable. When there is a family song, family food, why can't there be a family vegetable? Any day, you walk-in to my in-laws house, there is a good chance of finding potato subzi or a potato podimas in the lunch menu.
Both my kids are not alien to this habit of loving potatoes. Infact, my elder one is happy to have potato curry everyday in his lunch. Our family favorite is this potato capsicum curry, a dry subzi my husband makes. Perfectly cooked potatoes tossed with thinly sliced capsicums and flavored with simple homemade sambar powder.
The Tikki Story
Aloo tikki or Potato patty was my elder ones favorite when he was in his primary school years. He developed a sudden liking to the McAloo tikki served at McDonalds. One day, he wanted to make it for his school lunch box and asked whether I can create the same patty and the same taste at home. I said, I will try and made these and gave it along homemade white bread. It was such a big hit, and it made several appearances in his lunchbox that year. Now his younger brother has taken a liking for the same dish.
Step by Step instructions to make Potato Cutlet
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Wash, peel and boil the potatoes & peas until soft. Once done, drain the excess water, let it cool and mash it well.
- To the mashed peas and potatoes mix, add dry masalas, corn flour and salt. Mix well and form a ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into balls. Press each ball in your palm and pat to form a round patty. Coat the patty with breadcrumbs.
- Heat a flat pan to toast the patties. Place 2 or 3 patties at a time, drizzle some oil on top, cook both sides until crisp and brown.
- Serve it warm with sides of your choice. Can be made as a sandwich too.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan. You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Cutlet Recipes
- Beets and Samai croquettes/Beets and Little Millet croquette
- Sweet Potato Cutlet | Tikkis |Vegan & GF Snack
- Sweet potato tikki burger- Vegan tikki served with cream cheese sauce - no onion, no garlic recipe
- 3-Lentil Tikki Burger - Vegan Lentil Tikki with labneh and minty yogurt sauce - Oven Baked Tikki
Potato & Peas Cutlet Recipe
Aloo Tikki | Potato & Peas Cutlet | Vegan
- 1 Large Potato
- ¼ cup green peas i used frozen
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 pinches of garam masala powder
- 2 pinches of amchur powder
- 1 tablespoon corn flour
- 2 -3 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves chopped (i didn't use it)
- Salt to taste
- Wash, peel and boil the potatoes until soft. I used my Microwave's autocook menu to cook the potatoes. Since, i was using frozen peas, i just added it to the potato to cook along.
- Once done, drain the excess water, let it cool and mash it well. To the mashed peas and potatoes mix, add red chili powder ,garam masala, amchur powder, corn flour and salt.
- You can also add finely chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves to this. Since my kids don't prefer, I didn't add any. Mix well and form a ball of dough.
- Divide the dough into 5 golf-sized balls. Press each ball in your palm and pat to form a round patty. I rolled it on the sides to form proper edges. Roll each patty in bread crumbs and coat well
- Heat a flat pan to toast the patties, I used my cast iron pan to cook the patties. Place 2 or 3 patties at a time, drizzle some oil on top, cook both sides until crisp and brown.
- Serve it hot with some mint chutney and ketchup. This can also be made into a sandwich with bread and cheese.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Enjoy these quick and easy potato & peas cutlet warm with some green chutney and tomato sauce.
These vegan aloo tikki's make a wonderful patty to be stuffed between breads and buns. With some extra cheese and they would definitely taste better than any store bough burgers.