Being a Vegetarian, only way to get the required protein is to include Dal and Leafy greens in our meal. i try to make Sambhar atleast thrice a week, and regular kootu twice a week. Keerai/Leafy Greens are made atleast once in a week. Apart from the regular Kootu and Stir fry or Parupu-usli, i make this Sambhar with Fenugreek Leaves/Vendaya Keerai. This Leafy Vegetable naturally has a Amazing Aroma, this blends so well with Toor Dal and Tamarind gives an excellent taste to both the senses.
2 Medium-Sized bunches of Methi Leaves (approx 2 -3 Cups loosely packed)
1/4 Cup Tuvar Dal/Pigeon Peas/Toor Dal, Soaked in water for 10 minutes.
1 Medium onion, Chopped
1 Medium Tomato, Chopped
A Lemon-Sized Tamarind Soaked in Warm Water or 2 Cups of Tamarind Extract
2 tbsp Sambhar Powder (Home made or Store bought)
2 tbsp freshly grated Coconut
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds/Kadugu
1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds/Vendayam/Methi
1/4 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs of curry leaves
Tempering 2 (Optional, but highly recommended)
1 tsp Oil
3-4 red Chilies, long variety, broken into two pieces
- Wash, Clean and Chop the Vendaya Keerai/Methi/Fenugreek Leaves.
- In a Pressure Pan, Heat Oil given under tempering, Splutter mustard seeds, add hing, turmeric, vendayam/methi/fenugreek, and curry leaves.
- Add Onion and saute till translucent, add tomatoes and cook until mushy.
- Add the Fenugreek Leaves and Saute for a minute or two.
- Add Tamarind Water. Drain water from the dal and add it to the Cooker.
- Add Sambhar Powder, Coconut and Salt, mix well.
- Close the Pressure Cooker and Let it cook for 4-5 whistles in a Medium Flame.
- When the Pressure releases, Check the Consistency of the Sambhar, if it is too runny, let it boil for another 10 minutes.
- If doing Tempering 2, heat oil when it is hot, add broken red chilies, when it sizzles add it to the Sambhar. Serve with Steaming Rice.
Sending this to Healthy Food for Healthy Kids – Toddler Lunch Event, hosted by me, Event by Nithu and also to Healthy Morsel’s Baby and Toddler Food Event happening @ Taste of Pearl City