Today we are visiting our neighboring state, Kerala. Lush green wrapped state, known for its scenic beauty and backwaters and not to forget the coconut trees!!! I actually planned for Palappam and vegeable stew for our breakfast, but then forget to do the preps for he same. So, i switched to Idiyappam , a culinary staple, in Tamilnadu, Kerala, some parts of karnataka and also in our neighboring country Srilanka.
The best breakfast next to idly, especially when you are with a bad stomach or at a place where you feel the food might not be good to your system. Since it is rice and steamed it does no harm to one’s gut. It is also a quick to make breakfast at home. There are many varieties, that can be made with this simple string hoppers, savory, sweet, lemon, coconut and the list is endless. I made a simple idiyappam and served it the famous Vegetable ishtu/vegetable stew
1.5 cups rice flour
1.5 cups water
Salt to taste
- In a deep pan take rice flour and salt together and dry roast it well. The flour should be hot.
- Remove it from stove. In another pan boil water. Water should start boiling, remove it from the stove.
- Now carefully pour the hot water into the flour and mix it with a wooden spoon to incorporate well. The flour should turn wet.
- Let it sit for 2 minutes and bearable hot to touch and knead. Knead it to a soft dough. Keep the dough covered with a damp cloth, so it doesn’t dry out.
- Keep the steamer ready on the stove. Take the idly plate or idiyappam plate, grease it well with oil. Divide the dough into 4 or 5 equal portions
- Put a portion of dough into the idiyappam press and squeeze swirls of dough on to each idly mould. Steam cook it for 6-8 minutes. Take it off the steamer and serve it hot with vegetable stew.