Video reference here, here and here
1 bunch palak/spinach
1 cup besan/gram flour
3-4 tbsp rice flour
1/2 tsp -3/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
2 sprigs of curry leaves
2 pinches of ajwain/carom seeds
2 pinches of cumin seeds
1/2 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 cup – 3/4 cup of water
Oil for frying
- Wash the spinach leaves well in running water. Chop off the stems, take only leaves. Chop leaves roughly. Do not chop thin or fine, just a rough chop,a bunch into 3 or 4 cuts. Let this sit in a drainer.
- Let us make the dough. Take besan, rice flour in a large bowl, to this add red chili powder, coriander powder, cury leaves, ajwain and cumin and salt. Whisk well to combine.
- Now slowly add water to this and make dough, it will not be runny or too tight like chapathi dough. it will be little lose.Use only the 3/4 cup of water not more than that, it will make the batter runny.
- To this now add the spinach and mix well. Heat oil for frying, once it is hot, take small portion of batter and drop into hot oil. Take a small portion and drop into the hot oil.You can fry 6-7 at a time.
- Do not crowd the pan, cook them nice and brown on all sides. Remove using a slotted spoon onto a paper towel. Serve it hot, along with some hot chai.