Lachko, i love how the name sounds. It’s a gujarati dish, simple dal, served with a drizzle of ghee, adding a tadka of mustad and cumin gives the dish a new texture and taste.
Though lachko, is a gujarati dish, we have a similar dish in tamil cuisine too. Mashed tuvar dal is a daily menu at many south-indian homes. If the house has a toddler, rice and mashed toor dal with rasam and ghee is the daily meal of the child, whether he/she likes it or not.
When there is a function or festival at home, it is the first dish with which we start our feast after the sweet . Rice and mashed toor dal with a generous drizzle of ghee, is considered to be auspicious.
There is a popular proverb in Tamil பருபில்லத கல்யாணமா/Parupilladhaa kalyanama? meaning is there a marriage without dal, the dal here means the mashed toor dal served on the banana leaf next to rice.
How to make Lachko dal
Wash toor dal, pressure cook it until soft and serve with or with tempering. Adding tadka to the lachko dal, oomph the flavor of the dish. The tadka adds so much depth to the simple dal. The spices takes the simple toor dal to another level. Serve it with steaming hot rice for a comforting meal.
What can you serve with this simple dal.
Here is the video on how to make Chana dal/split chickpeas dal
Lachko dal, Mashed toor dal
- Pressure cooker
- Sauce pan/Tadka pan
- 1 cup Tuvar dal/toor dal/Tuvaram paruppu
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½-¾ tsp salt or to taste
- ¼ tsp hing/asafoetida
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- 2-3 tbsp ghee/clarified butter use vegatable oil for vegan version
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 2 nos red chilies, broken into two i have used long variety
- a sprig of curry leaf
- Wash the dal twice with water. Add twice the amount of water and let it soak for 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal until soft. I usually cook it for 4-5 whistles so it becomes soft and easily mashable with a potato masher or back of the ladle.
- Let the pressure release on its own. Mash the dal well. Next step is tempering, though the step is optional, i would definitely recommend it.
- Heat a tadka/tempering pan with ghee/oil. When its hot, splutter mustard seeds, add cumin and chilies along with hing and curry leaves. Pour this sizzling tadka over the dal.
- Garnish the dal with fresh coriander leaves and serve it with steaming hot rice for a warm comforting meal.
How i served this lachko dal
The day i made this delicious dal, i served with quinoa, paruppu/dal rasam and some mixed vegetable saagu.