|The Gift basket i made for my friend’s birthday|
The recipe is my fool-proof vanilla cake recipe, which i have tweaked a bit and have used mango puree for the liquid. The canned puree, adds such a gorgeous color, i know it might not be natural, but then if you are using canned goods once in blue moon, it is fine. I m waiting for the mango season to make these again with alphonso or the sidhri variety. These are great afterschool treats and a wonderful way to make your kids enjoy fruits, if they run a mile, hearing the name
- Preheat the oven to 170C, line a muffin tray with liners. I got around 10 muffins. Depending on how you fill the muffin tray, you might get around 10-12 normal-sized muffins.
- In a large bowl, sift together whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda. To this add pounded cardamom and clove powder.
- In another bowl, take mango puree, sugar, add oil and butter milk to it and using a electric beater beat together to form a uniform liquid. you can also whisk it with your hands, i prefered electric beater.
- Take the dry flour mixture and add it to the liquid in 3 batches. While adding mix it together using a spatuala. Take care not to mix vigorously. Mix in one direction, see to that there is no traces of flour in the batter.
- Using a ice-cream scoop or a ladle, scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tray. Fill 3/4 th of the each muffin hole. I usually grease the ladle or the ice-cream scoop with little oil, so the batter won’t stick to it.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of muffins comes out clean.
- Once done, remove the muffins from the oven, transfer it to a wire rack, let it cool completely. If serving without frosting, serve it warm.
- If planning to frost, fill the frosting in a piping bag, using any nozzle, pipe some cream on top and enjoy the muffins.