Chocolate and nuts ladoo, energy balls made with nuts and chocolate, sweetened with organic jaggery. A quick and easy ladoo, that takes just minutes to make.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
Ladoo | Laddu – Versatile Dessert
Ladoo or Laddu, a sphere-shaped sweet from the Indian subcontinent. They are usually made from flour, fat (ghee/butter/oil) and sugar.
I have a love for ladoos, first they are pretty easy to make. Roast, mix and shape. Secondly, if you are calorie conscious or have a specific dietary requirements, it is easy to modify a laddu recipe to fit that need. And not to forget, they are small, bite-sized and so portion-controlled. Contrary to the belief that all Indian sweets are calorie-laden, ladoo’s made with jaggery, nuts with or without ghee are real healthy.
Check these Sunnundalu/Urad dal ladoos, a protein packed sweet balls. These colorful Carrot & Coconut ladoos, are a delight to both eyes and the taste-buds. These sesame seeds & mawa ladoos are a rich and royal treat. The brilliance in black, Sesame seeds ladoo, is a simple vegan treat.
So, planning for a rich and royal treat for a festive occasion or a simple snack for self, ladoos fit the bill.
🔖 Nuts Ladoo – Vegan & Gluten-Free
Coming to today’s recipe Chocolate & Nuts ladoo, a ladoo that is intended to attract kids. Anything chocolate make their eyes go big and wide. These ladoos were a big hit with my boys.
They have a beautiful brown color of the cocoa powder and with organic jaggery tastes just the right amount of sweetness. The nuts and coconut add necessary richness to the ladoo, so I haven’t used any extra fat in the recipe. Apart from the drop of coconut oil to roast the nuts, so they are vegan and gluten-free.
📋 The Ingredients
- Nuts, i have used almonds, cashews, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. You can use any combination of nuts.
- Sweetener, I have used organic jaggery in this recipe. You can use white/brown sugar, coconut sugar, palm sugar etc. There might be a slight difference in the sweetness of these different sugars, so use accordingly.
- Chocolate, i have used cocoa powder in the recipe.
- Desiccated coconut, though optional, I would recommend using, as it adds nice flavor.
- Cinnamon powder is used to flavor the ladoos. You can also add a pinch of clove powder and nutmeg to enhance the flavors.
💭 Step-by-Step Instructions
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- In heavy bottom pan, add a drop of coconut oil and roast the nuts. Adding coconut oil is purely optional.
- Towards the end of roasting the nuts, add the desiccated coconut to the pan, switch off the heat. Keep roasting, as the coconut turns golden brown in the pan heat.
- Transfer the roasted contents to another plate, let it cool completely.
- Take the cooled ingredients along with jaggery powder and cocoa powder in a mixer.
- Pulse grind the ingredients until they come together. Do not grind continuously, you will end up with nut butter. Pulse grind so the nuts grind and mix with rest of ingredients.
- Transfer the ground contents to a flat plate, and shape them into round balls. You can optionally roll the shaped ladoos with desiccated coconut.
- Store the chocolate & nut ladoo’s in an air-tight container.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Snack Varieites
Chocolate & Nuts Ladoo | Nutty Energy Balls
- Indian style mixie or any heavy blender
- Measuring cups and spoons
- ½ cup Mixed nuts i have used almonds, cashews, walnuts and pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup organic jaggery powder
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- In a heavy bottom pan, add a drop coconut oil and roast the nuts. Keep the flame low, do not burn the nuts.
- Towards the end of roasting the nuts, add the coconut, turn off the stove. Roast the coconut in the residue heat of the pan.
- Transfer the ingredients to a flat plate, let it cool completely.
- Take the cooled down ingredients into a mixer along with jaggery powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder and grind it to a powder
- Do not grind continuously, you will end up with nut butter. Pulse grind the nuts into a powder.
- Transfer the ground contents to a flat plate, start shaping them into ladoos. You can optionally coat the ladoos with coconut.
- Store the ladoos in an air-tight container. if you live in hot climate, refrigerate them.
These delicious chocolate & nut ladoo make a lovely treat anytime and a great gift for your friends.