Curry Podi is another essential Masala in many south-indian kitchen. I normally use my Sambhar Powder to spice my dry curries/Subzi’s which i make everyday to go with Rice. But some use this combination of spice-mix for the same purpose. Whenever i make Brinjal Curry or Stuffed Brinjals i use this spice for the special kick it gives.
This time i tried using this spice for the Bhindi Subzi, Loved the taste n aroma of Freshly pound Coriander along with red chilies, try it and you will know what i m talking about.
1/2 Cup Coriander seeds/Dhaniya
2 tbsp Chana Dal/Gram Dal/Kadalai paruppu
7-8 Red Chilies (long variety)(reduce to 5, if you don’t prefer Hot Curries)
1 tsp Peppercorns
2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- Dry roast coriander seeds and gram dal together in a very low flame. Roast till the dal turn golden brown and the coriander starts giving out a nice aroma.
- Switch of the gas and add the red chilies, Peppercorns and Desiccated Coconut to the Hot pan and Mix well with a spatula for it to roast on the residual heat.
- Take it out on a Flat plate, let it cool, then take grind it to a fine powder using a Spice grinder.
- The Above Quantity gives you approximately 1/2 Cup of Powder, use a tsp or two of this powder to spice your Dry Curies/Subzi.
- This Powder can also be used to Thicken Sambhar, take 2 tsp of this powder, add little water to make a thin paste and add to sambhar
- Since this Spice Powder contains Desiccated Coconut, try to store this in refrigerator or else it might give you an odd smell. Make it in little quantities, that way it stays fresh.