Eggplant toast, a quick and easy toast with no bread. Eggplants marinated in spices, pan toasted to perfection and served with assorted toppings.
No bread toast | Easy Toast | Easy breakfast recipe | Easy appetizer | Party appetizer | Fun appetizer | Easy recipe to cook with kids | Fun party appetizer | Easy finger food recipes | Canapes | Starter recipe | Antipasto | first course recipe | Toasted Eggplant
Table of contents
Toast without Bread?
Don't come to a conclusion that we don't like bread, we love bread, a warm sandwich with choicest filling is like heaven on plate. If you follow me on Instagram, i share lot of sandwiches and wrap recipes. I have a long of list sandwich recipes in this space too.
At home Sunday breakfast is mostly sandwich and my hubby is the sandwich master at home. He prefers a slightly sweet sandwich this Banana honey walnut sandwich and apple pie sandwich are his absolute favorites. Whereas kids love this potato sandwich and this colorful mixed vegetable cheese sandwich .
We love our bread so much, then why a no bread toast? These attractive eggplant toasts were made for a theme based mega marathon which I did in 2018, where we cooked the whole month under the Theme Explore the Flavors (A-Z)
Follow me on Social Media
How I made these No Bread, Eggplant Toast
Pick a good eggplant. I prefer to use globe eggplants for this eggplant toast. They are easier to cut and have a thick skin and meaty inside, which holds well when marinated and toasted.
How to pick good eggplant: Do you know lighter the eggplant, lesser the seeds and tastier it is. The eggplants with fewer seeds are often referred to as “male” eggplants, with a roundish dimpled area at the bottom end. I usually compare the eggplants available by holding in my hands, though not perfect, if you are doing it often, you eill get a hang of it.
Marinate : I marinated the Eggplants in Ras El Hanout spice mix , a fabulous and versatile spice mix from Moroccan cuisine. Check this delish baked potatoes with ras el hanout. I highly recommend you to try this spice mix, it is an awesome spice mix that comes so handy in many dishes and if you are experimental like me, you would love it.
If not Ras el hanout : Use a simple mix of red chili powder, coriander powder along with garam masala mixed together. Or If you have tandoori masala, then go for it.
Toast &Top : Once the Eggplants are nicely toasted, the toppings are innumerable. You can use any chutney/spread/pesto along with some veggies or pickles, make it sweet or salty or spicy. It is a flavor bomb! Do try and let me know how you liked it
Do you like this No Bread Toast? PIN IT
More Ideas for Canapes
Recipe Card for Eggplant Toasties
Eggplant Toasts without Bread | No Bread Toast
- 1 no globe eggplant cut into thick roundels
- 4 tablespoon mint pesto
- 4 tablespoon labneh/ Curd cheese
- pickled cucumbers
- hot sauce and ketchup as per taste
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout spice
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- Wash and cut eggplants into ¼ inch thick roundels. In a ziploc bag, add the eggplant slices, add oil and spices to it, shake well to mix well. Refrigerate the eggplants for 3-4 hours minimum
Let us Toast
- Heat a tava, add 1 teaspoon oil, remove the eggplants from the Ziploc, place the roundels on the hot tava,
- Keep the flame simmer, close the pan with a lid and cook for a minute, flip the eggplant and cover cook again for a minute, flip again.
- Repeat this until the eggplants looked well browned and crisp.
Recipe Links for all toppings used in the recipe
- Mint pesto, coriander pesto, Mint & coriander pesto
- Coriander labneh, Beets labneh
- Pickled cucumbers
More interesting & fun party appetizers
- Cheese rolls : Bread slice rolled with cheese and pan fried. Perfect recipe to make for a crowd.
- Poha Khichu : Steamed savory snack made of rice flakes, quick, easy, healthy and yet another recipe to make for a crowd.
- Spinach Dhokla : Colorful, soft and spongy snack, that fits gluten-free and vegan criteria too. Again a recipe that can be made in a jiffy for a crowd.
- Ammini Kozhukattai : Savory rice balls, steamed and tempered with delish spices. Quick and easy crowd pleasing recipe.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.