Semiya upma, called vermicelli upma, a popular breakfast dish from South-India, made with vermicelli and spices.Jump to Recipe
Like rava upma, semiya upma can be made simple or extravagant like a rava kichadi, with lots of vegetables, ghee and nuts.
Table of contents
Vermicelli, Indian variant of the noodles/pasta or spaghetti. Made of all-purpose flour or wheat, used for preparing kheer, upma and other dishes. Vermicelli, called Semiya (in Tamil), Sevaiyyan (Hindi), Shemai (Bengali), does not have much flavor of its own. So, it readily absorbs the flavors with what it is cooked with.
It can be made into delicious sindhi style kheer, Microwave semiya payasam, or a colorful pulao. I once tried it in soup too.
This delicious semiya/vermicelli upma, is a regular at home. My lil one calls this as noodles upma.
What is Upma?
I can hear upsetting voices, as some of you read that title – upma, one of the least favored dish by many. But believe me when I say, there are many people who love upma anytime, any day.
Upma, a simple savory dish, made with or without vegetables and tempered with spices. It can be made with semolina, vermicelli, Wheat rava, Millet rava, burghol, Poha, etc.
In Indian household, upma is a last resort. A dish, that can made with nothing but, a tempering of chilies and curry leaves. Add boiling water to this and mix in the hero ingredient, tada! you have a simple meal ready in just minutes. So, never under estimate the humble upma, it will be your life savior any day.
How to get a perfect upma?
- Always use roasted vermicelli. These days we get both roasted and unroasted vermicelli in stores. But if you get unroasted ones, then roast them nicely in oil until golden brown.
- There are many ways to make a vermicelli upma. I add roasted vermicelli directly to cooked vegetables, add water and cook until soft. If you are following this method, then the amount of water you add is very important. I have used 2 to 2&¼ cups of water for 180 grams or one packet of roasted vermicelli. You can use less, like 2 cups, but do not use more than 2.5 cups . The water should just cover the vermicelli.
- Another way is to cook the vermicelli separately and add it to the tempered and cooked vegetables. You cook just like how you cook pasta. Add it to boiling water with salt. Cook it al dente, strain and add it to vegetables.
- Vermicelli, I have used MTR brand roasted vermicelli for this recipe.
- Vegetables, I have used mixed vegetables like potatoes, carrots, capsicums, beans and cauliflower florets to make this semiya upma. You can use veggies or skip, it is a personal choice.
- Spices, I have used green chilies to spice the kichadi and ginger for the flavor.
- Tempering, regular Indian tempering ingredients, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves are used.
Step by Step instructions
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add tempering ingredients. Add the vegetables and sauté.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and enough water for veggies to cook. Cover and cook until they are done.
- Now add the roasted vermicelli/semiya, saute for 2 minues. Then add required water , mix well. Cover and cook in a medium flame, until all the liquid is absorbed and the vermicelli is cooked.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves, let it sit covered for 5 minutes and then serve hot.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Breakfast Dishes
Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma | Noodles Upma
- 1 pack MTR roasted vermicelli/semiya 180 grams
- 2½ cups water
- ½ a potato peeled and chopped into cubes
- ½ a carrot peeled and chopped into cubes
- ½ cup chopped french beans
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- 4 nos green chilies finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon oil i used coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds/kadugu
- ¼ teaspoon hing/asafoetida
- a sprig of curry leaves
- Wash, peel and chop all the veggies to cubes.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, splutter mustard seeds and add hing. To this add chopped chilies, curry leaves and ginger.
- To the sizzling tempering, add chopped vegetables and saute for a minute
- To this sautéed veggies, add turmeric powder and salt. Add ¼ cup to ½ cup of water, for the veggies to cook. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes in a medium flame for the veggies to get cooked,
- After the said time, remove the cover and check the doneness of the vegetables. Now add the roasted vermicelli/semiya and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add 2.5 cups of water to this vermicelli. Mix well. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes in a medium flame for the vermicelli/semiya to cook.
- After the said time, remove cover, mix well. The semiya upma must have cooked well soft and fluffy.
- Finally garnish the semiya upma with fresh coriander leaves, serve warm.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
Serve this delicious semiya upma with any side of your choice. At home, my kids love to enjoy it warm with plain curd.
What a lovely and tasty snack.
Would love to have this yummy upma rite now,my fav anytime..
I thought of making this today but got lazy..
very inviting dish--looks swell !
I love semiya upma. makes me hungry now....
chef and her kitchen
Lovely upma...simple n comfort brkfast when no time..
love to have this yummy upma with hot coffee
Yummy upma with cute presentation.
A quick fix upma any day!! Lovely upma!!
That looks cute priya..semiya upma is always a quick fix..
Chennai Shopping Offers
mmm... I love semiya upma and make it for a quick dinner quite often.
Your version looks lovely 🙂
this looks so yummy, but I already started soaking the rice to do your puffed rice dosa for Blog Hop! Will def. try this recipe another time!
I am a fan of semiya upma, especially the veggies loaded kind. It’s a staple at our place
Looks very colorful and inviting. I always make this like pasta. Add veggies in abundance and some peanut powder for added crunch and flavor.
Who would not like such a gorgeous looking, nutrition loaded upma? We all are very fond of it and make it regularly with a variation of veggies.
Yum yummy vermicelli upma. This looks delicious and comforting. Right away I want to make and enjoy it.
This is my go to recipe when cooking breakfast for myself. I add only carrots, peas and beans. This time added all the veggies you listed and it was a filling breakfast. Thanks for the recipe,
I always love semiya upma more than Rava upma. This bowl is so soulful for me and looks absolutely scrumptious.