Semiya upma, called vermicelli upma, a popular breakfast dish from South-India, made with vermicelli and spices.Jump to Recipe
Table of contents
Vermicelli, Indian variant of the noodles/pasta or spaghetti. Made of all-purpose flour or wheat, used for preparing kheer, upma and other dishes. Vermicelli, called Semiya (in Tamil), Sevaiyyan (Hindi), Shemai (Bengali), does not have much flavor of its own. So, it readily absorbs the flavors with what it is cooked with.
This delicious semiya/vermicelli upma, is a regular at home. My lil one calls this as noodles upma.
What is Upma?
I can hear upsetting voices, as some of you read that title – upma, one of the least favored dish by many. But believe me when I say, there are many people who love upma anytime, any day.
In Indian household, upma is a last resort. A dish, that can made with nothing but, a tempering of chilies and curry leaves. Add boiling water to this and mix in the hero ingredient, tada! you have a simple meal ready in just minutes. So, never under estimate the humble upma, it will be your life savior any day.
How to get a perfect upma?
- Always use roasted vermicelli. These days we get both roasted and unroasted vermicelli in stores. But if you get unroasted ones, then roast them nicely in oil until golden brown.
- There are many ways to make a vermicelli upma. I add roasted vermicelli directly to cooked vegetables, add water and cook until soft. If you are following this method, then the amount of water you add is very important. I have used 2 to 2&1/4 cups of water for 180 grams or one packet of roasted vermicelli. You can use less, like 2 cups, but do not use more than 2.5 cups . The water should just cover the vermicelli.
- Another way is to cook the vermicelli separately and add it to the tempered and cooked vegetables. You cook just like how you cook pasta. Add it to boiling water with salt. Cook it al dente, strain and add it to vegetables.
- Vermicelli, I have used MTR brand roasted vermicelli for this recipe.
- Vegetables, I have used mixed vegetables like potatoes, carrots, capsicums, beans and cauliflower florets to make this semiya upma. You can use veggies or skip, it is a personal choice.
- Spices, I have used green chilies to spice the kichadi and ginger for the flavor.
- Tempering, regular Indian tempering ingredients, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing and curry leaves are used.
Step by Step instructions
Please check recipe card below for exact measurements of each ingredient used and also for the detailed instructions
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, add tempering ingredients. Add the vegetables and sauté.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and enough water for veggies to cook. Cover and cook until they are done.
- Now add the roasted vermicelli/semiya, saute for 2 minues. Then add required water , mix well. Cover and cook in a medium flame, until all the liquid is absorbed and the vermicelli is cooked.
- Finally garnish with coriander leaves, let it sit covered for 5 minutes and then serve hot.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Breakfast Dishes
Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma | Noodles Upma
- 1 pack MTR roasted vermicelli/semiya 180 grams
- 2½ cups water
- ½ a potato peeled and chopped into cubes
- ½ a carrot peeled and chopped into cubes
- ½ cup chopped french beans
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- 4 nos green chilies finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp oil i used coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds/kadugu
- ¼ tsp hing/asafoetida
- a sprig of curry leaves
- Wash, peel and chop all the veggies to cubes.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan, splutter mustard seeds and add hing. To this add chopped chilies, curry leaves and ginger.
- To the sizzling tempering, add chopped vegetables and saute for a minute
- To this sautéed veggies, add turmeric powder and salt. Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water, for the veggies to cook. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes in a medium flame for the veggies to get cooked,
- After the said time, remove the cover and check the doneness of the vegetables. Now add the roasted vermicelli/semiya and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add 2.5 cups of water to this vermicelli. Mix well. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes in a medium flame for the vermicelli/semiya to cook.
- After the said time, remove cover, mix well. The semiya upma must have cooked well soft and fluffy.
- Finally garnish the semiya upma with fresh coriander leaves, serve warm.
Serve this delicious semiya upma with any side of your choice. At home, my kids love to enjoy it warm with plain curd.