I m Living in UAE for the past 8 years, though i have tasted Middle-Eastern Food outside, but never tried them @ home. This is the first time, i made Falafel @ home. No big reason for not making all these days, since we tried it @ home, it will be a definite snack here onward.
A Little info (courtesy : Wiki) about these Cute little, power-packed Snack!!! Falafel is a deep-fried ball or patty made from ground chickpeas, fava beans, or both. Falafel is usually served in a pita, which acts as a pocket, or wrapped in a flatbread. Falafel balls may also be eaten alone as a snack.
Generally accepted to have first been made in Egypt, falafel has become a dish eaten throughout the Middle East. The Copts of Egypt claim to have first made the dish as a replacement for meat during Lent. The fritters are now found around the world as a replacement for meat and as a form of street food.
1 Cup Chickpeas
4 green chilies
3 cloves of garlic
a small piece of ginger
1 tsp of All purpose flour
a handful of Coriander Leaves
Oil for Deep Frying
Salt to taste
- Soak Chickpeas in Water for 8 hours or Overnight.
- Drain the Excess water and towel dry the chickpeas. There should be no Moisture.
- Take the Chickpeas with rest of the ingredients except oil in a mixer. Grind it smooth without adding water.
- Transfer the contents to a bowl. knead and shape them into Marble-sized Balls.
- Heat Oil in a Pan, Deep fry the Balls in Batches. Keep the flame in medium and fry, or else you end up with browned outside and uncooked inside falafels.
- Serve them Hot as such with Tomato Sauce . My kiddo munched it as such without any accompaniment.
- We enjoyed it as a sandwich, with some Peanut Chutney and Tomato Sauce and some Cucumber with toasted Sunflower Seed Bread.
Sending this to Kids Delight – What kids Love for Summer hosted by Smitha, an Event by Srivalli .